Welcome to the Archie Clayton Pre-AP Academy website.
Our school name officially changed from Archie Clayton Middle School to Archie Clayton Pre-AP Academy in 2012 to better reflect our innovative Pre-Advanced Placement for ALL philosophy. In 2010 Clayton was designated a school improvement grant (SIG) school. With that designation we had the opportunity to utilize a 1.1 million dollar grant (over 3 years) to develop and implement a rigorous, academic-focused academy that promotes a college bound focus for all of our students. Students at our school are assigned to one of 6 different teams (University of Nevada Wolf Pack, Colorado Buffaloes, Oregon Ducks, Cal Bears, Stanford Cardinal, or UCLA Bruins) named after either our local college, UNR, or a Pack12 college. Archie Clayton Pre-AP Academy is also a magnet site for the Gifted and Talented program. Of our almost 700 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students in the school, 100 are in the GT magnet program.
Below is a list of significant initiatives Clayton has embraced as part of our Pre-AP Academy.
- Increased use of technology with Activ
eBoards in every classroom and Activ eExpressions in over 20 rooms.
- Use of the SpringBoard text in all ELA classrooms to better prepare our students to be successful in AP courses in high school. SpringBoard is developed by CollegeBoard… the same company that develops the AP curriculum and tests for the high schools as well as the ACT and SAT tests.
- Full implementation of Common Core State Standards.
- Use of an inquiry-based learning model for all Science classes.
- Regular use of document-based questions in all Social Studies classes.
- Integration of 21st Century learning skills in all academic areas.
- Strong emphasis on reading and writing in all content areas.
This year we are focusing on improving in two main areas.
1. We will improve our overall school wide attendance. Our goal is to meet or exceed an overall daily attendance percentage of 95%.
2. 2. We will improve our use of data to drive instruction with a strong emphasis on providing and monitoring interventions and enrichments.